Two weeks ago, Reservoir Data Systems sponsored a DFIT Processes and Applications SPE Workshop in Houston and it was a huge success! Over 90 industry experts, experienced engineers, and distinguished academics came together to share best practices and provide valuable insights.
Before the workshop, I spoke to various reservoir and completion engineers from different companies about their DFIT programs. Several folks asked the me the same question—how do we creatively use DFITs to maximize value to the organization? In other words, what all can we do with a DFIT program? How do we maximize the ROI for DFITs? What other advantages can we realize?
I was so pleased and intrigued when operators shared their DFIT stories at the workshop. One of the most significant take-aways (there were several) from the workshop was hearing the ways operators found value (oftentimes unintentionally) from their DFIT programs. I want to share a few of these with you. Below is a brief summary from the workshop on ways operators have used DFIT information to bring value in development decisions:
- The Life of Pi: Describe and understand initial pressure for more accurate reserves calculations. DFITs remain the best way to quantify initial pressure in unconventional and pseudo-unconventional reservoirs
- To stagger or not to stagger: Optimize well spacing and placement. DFITs in parent and child wells can provide a measure of depletion and therefore help operators determine the most cost-effective well spacing patterns
- Put your field on the map: Recognize attributes and patterns that hinder fracture growth and map it out accordingly. Use this to visually determine the optimal completion and well placement strategies
- Go off the deep end: Outline your vertical profile so you can find pressure anomalies and potentially uncover stacked-play possibilities
- Turn on the lights: One DFIT test in a field is like lighting a match in a dark room, but a DFIT program will turn on the lights. Performing DFITS provides crucial pieces of information that, when combined, can really show the big picture and aid in decision-making
Obviously, there are other ways to utilize a DFIT program to add value and insight for development decisions. We will be writing on the above topics in more detail over the next few months. In the meantime, please comment on other ways your team or organization has advantageously used DFIT information, realized value from DFIT campaigns, or measured the ROI from a successful DFIT program? Looking forward to the hearing from you!